Friday, June 20, 2008
Oh Sweet Memories
I was cleaning out my school email account earlier, and I ran across a story from my classroom this past year. So, even though some of you have probably heard this one already, I want to take a moment to remind us all why teaching is such a fabulous career. Here we go:
So this morning as I’m giving directions, one of my kids has his hand up the whole time. I remind him to wait until after directions to ask questions. He keeps his hand up the whole time, so I finish explaining the activity and call on him. Here is the convo that followed:
Me: OK, Bob*, now you can ask your question.
Bob (very concerned sounding): Well, Ms. M, I was just wondering…Are you having a bad hair day?
Me: What?
Bob: I mean, it’s really frizzy or something…
Several other kids chime in in agreement: “Yeah, you kinda look like a witch.” “It’s like the day you dressed up as the evil teacher.” (I was Viola Swamp for storybook character day.)
Me: Wow guys, how do you think that makes me feel when you say things like that?
Johnny*: Well, Ms. M, we don’t think you’re a witch – you’re a really nice teacher, it’s just…your hair…looks…
Several other kids chime in again justifying…then one of my girls says (in a trying to sound sincere kind of way) “It’s alright, Ms. M…it looks…ok”
Now my kids are at P.E., so I have searched the school and located a broom.
I’m set for the day.
*Names have been changed to protect the ‘innocent’.
Wow, I miss my little darlings already. And by the way, when they were at PE, I took my broom out and asked if anyone needed me to pick them up something at the store because I was heading out to run some errands.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Don't you just hate that?! Oh well. They can tell it like it is!
Post a Comment