Saturday, October 25, 2008

Work, kids books, and other notes

This week was just a big ball of stress. Aside from the normal work stress there were several additional issues going on that kinda sent me over the edge. Just having to go up there today was enough to make me feel panicky & sad. SO, ever since I got home from all the festivities today, I've just been hanging out on the couch being L-A-Z-Y. I know next week will be better, so I'm not gonna talk about work anymore. Instead, I'm gonna talk about all the cool kids books I've been reading this year. Some I've read with my kiddos, & others are ones they've recommended to me. City of Ember I've already talked about this one on the blog. I read it last year & decided I had to read it with my kids before the movie came out this month. Love it! Riding Freedom I've got to thank Nikki for 'making' me read this book a couple years ago when we taught reading together. I had no interest in reading it, but I'm SO glad I did. I just finished reading it with my kids this year & they really enjoyed it too. It's based on a true story about a female stagecoach driver with some amazing perseverance. Her story is all about overcoming obstacles & never giving up on your dreams - what better message for my kids to hear? Firegirl I stole this one off a kid's desk & started reading it (yes, she gave me permission b/c she was reading another book at the time). Even though It's kinda a sad book, It sucked me in b/c it shows a great transformation of a kid's life. No Talking I love Andrew Clements' books! Frindle was my favorite (thanks to Megan recommending it), but No Talking is AWESOME for reading with 5th graders. It's so funny & the kids love the competition between the boys & the girls in the book. The Lightning Thief It seems like ALL my boys are reading this book/series right now. One day at recess a kid asked me to hold his copy. I read the first couple pages & decided I'd check it out. I finished it last night/this morning at 1 something. It's a great 'boy' book w/ lots of action. I bought the 2nd and 3rd books of the series today & I'm half way through the 2nd one now. One of my favorite things about teaching reading is talking with my kids about the books they are reading. I can't wait to tell the boys I finished this one & talk about all the plot twists and turns! Other notes: - Today was Family Fun day at The Patch. It was awesome - completely saturated with God's presence. I was SO sad when I had to leave! -Friday night I went with the college/young adult group to see HSM3. I was worried people wouldn't enjoy themselves, BUT we all ended up having a blast & laughing at the cheese-fest. Plus, I feel like the group is starting to bond & get more comfortable together, so YAY! -I still feel guilty for not accepting Sarah's $5, but later accepting Laura's. What Sarah didn't know is that when she offered, I was contemplating leaving. When Laura asked, I had just decided I had to 'pay my dues' and therefore couldn't sneak out. I hope Sarah knows I love her just as much as Laura. xoxoxo

4 comments:

Laura said...

I am so sorry this has been a hard week! Next week will be much better, and if not, you can come and hide out with me and my sweet little guys. They are super funny and will keep your mind off of the stressful stuff. I am glad that you stayed for the auction! You helped me keep up with that fast paced number war! Too bad I didnt 'win'anything!

Megan said...

Kids books are one of my favorite parts of life. Have you seen ember yet? Today at the patch was awesome. It was good to see you...but I wish I had gotten to hang out w/ you more!

Katie said...

I saw Ember & it was good (not great), but movies never add up to the books! :-)

Dori said...

Ooooh, thanks for the great recommendations! Pearce and Cole will love this list!